I’ve been MIA around here, pretty much all week – but it’s because I’ve been baking all week long like a little keebler elf, making all sorts of halloween goodness. Tomorrow will be our spiderman halloween party, which I’ve mentioned awhile back and it’s finally here – I’m so excited to pull it all together! Tomorrow afternoon, I will have 7 little boys under the age 5 running around my house 🙂
JP helped in making these – He was the official mixer operator!
They were super simple to make – it’s just a basic sugar cookie recipe, molded into a finger shape. I used blanched almonds to give the effect of a witch fingernail. Blanching natural almonds is easy, just soak them in boiling water for 1 minute, drain and dry them and the skins will peel right off.
I got the recipe from here – this recipe calls for almond extract, but since I didn’t have any, I just left it out. It’s still sweet and tasty! You can even add food coloring as you see fit, I contemplated the color green – but decided against it.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup blanched almonds
- Red cake decorating gel
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Mix together the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt
- Slowly add in the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture until it becomes a soft dough.
- make each cookie into a shape of a finger and press one almond at the tip, for a fingernail appearance.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
- After they have cooled, remove the almond and put a small amount of red gel and put the almond back.