This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Dr. Pepper Snapple Group but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #TENways http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
If you don’t already know, I’ve been on bit of a healthy kick these past few weeks. Between starting some probiotics and cooking clean and healthy, I’m learning to make those slight changes in ingredients that make a huge difference on the nutritional content.
Last week, I discovered the new Bold Ten low calorie sodas – its full flavor with only 10 calories! Soda has a high sugar content so it isn’t a very good choice when you are trying your best at a healthier lifestyle. There’s a coupon for it at Walmart right now that will get you $1.50 off 2 bottles of any bold flavor (Root Beer, Dr Pepper, Ginger Ale & Sunkist) while supplies last.
So if you like gingerbread, you are going to love this cake! I adapted this one slightly to skinny it down and make it a little less-than-usual sinful. My favorite new baking substitute for butter has quickly become applesauce. While it does change the moistness of the cake, it certainly cuts the fat and cholesterol out without compromising the cake’s texture.
- 1 cup applesauce (sub for 1 cup of butter)
- 1 cup A&W Root Beer 10 calorie bold soda
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup A&W Root Beer 10 calorie bold soda
- ¼ cup butter/margarine
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 deg. Heat the root beer with applesauce, but do not boil. Set aside. Sift together flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and cocoa. Beat together eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and baking soda. Add hot roor beer mixture to dry ingrediants slowly, on medium spped of mixer and then slowly stir in egg mixture and blend well (approx 2 min). Pour into greased and floured 15x10-inch sheet cake pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Frosting: Heat Dr. Pepper, margarine and cocoa. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread frosting on cake once cooled.